Summary: To perform all aspects of the Associate/Clerk job responsibilities according to Company and department standards. To work productively as part of a team and to follow all company customer service and quality standards, ensuring that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store. All areas described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Observe all Company policies and procedures, store rules, standards of conduct as outlined in the employee handbook and as directed by management.
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe Company grooming and dress standards.
- Work all scheduled shifts, following Company guidelines for attendance and punctuality.
- To operate all necessary and authorized equipment according to Company policies, procedures and safety guidelines.
- To perform stocking and other duties as assigned per sales volume and management direction.
- Assist customers with all orders and/or questions, per Company Customer Service guidelines.
- Perform all department duties according to Company policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Greet all customers and provide them prompt, courteous and excellent service and/or assistance, per Company Customer Service guidelines. Must be able to work with all products available within the department.
- Knowledge of store lay out in order to assist customers in locating products.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal laws and guidelines.
- Understanding and knowledge of the quality standards, prices, varieties, preparation methods, etc. of the various products/food products that are available in the department.
- Must be able to work with all products/ food products available within the department. Must be able to use knives, box cutters, slicers*, bailers*, floral cutters*, etc. as needed in the department. (*Must be 18 years old to use slicers, bailers, floral cutters, etc.).
- Handle any damaged and/or spoiled product according to Company and department guidelines and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Comply with safety and sanitation policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook, postings, and manuals, etc.
- Comply with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Notify management immediately of any safety or equipment issues or violations.
- Properly handle, stock, prepare and display all necessary products.
- Ability to work in extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions.
- Ability to work consistently in a 45° to 50º environment.
- Ability to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions.
- Ability to answer phones and process and complete all customer orders and requests, within Company time guidelines
- Ability to count, separate and weigh all types of products.
- Ability to assist in training associates when necessary.
- Assist in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned. Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisor responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred, but not required.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in the English language in order to promptly respond to requests for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
Mathematical Skills: General math ability, including the skills necessary to calculate individual and large orders and all other calculations as they pertain to customer service. Ability to calculate individual and large orders and all other calculations as they pertain to customer service.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: All cashiers and employees that operate cash registers must attend the Responsible Alcohol Sales training class.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Operating equipment, i.e. baler, power jack, etc. Must be 18 or older to operate power equipment.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Bending, reaching and grasping. Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height. The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions; the employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
Every successful company is built on a core principle. At Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace, it's Family. From the actual Salvaggio family that created our store in 1979, to the family of thousands who staff our four locations in Metro Detroit, to the families we serve as customers every day.
Nino’s excellent pay and benefits package and our flexible scheduling philosophy reflect our family values and our respect for the dignity and value of labor. So does the number of employees who started out with part time or seasonal jobs and 5, 10, even 20 years later work with us full-time.
So whether you love working with customers or thrive in a kitchen environment, whether you know fresh produce or cash registers, whether you’ve graduated high school or learned a trade, it doesn’t matter. If you want a job, chances are you’ve got family waiting for you at Nino’s.
Troy • Clinton Twp. • St. Clair Shores • Bloomfield Twp.
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)