Nino Salvaggio is looking for an assistant customer service manager in the Bloomfield Twp location.
Summary: To effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the department in order to achieve the sales, gross profit, customer service and labor goals established for the department, on a per shift basis. Develops and implements plans for maximizing sales, gross profits, cash management and overall results in the Department. Directs work flow in the department and coordinates activities involved with ensuring excellent customer service. Assists Customer Service Manager in all aspects of operation for the department. All areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines as scheduled or assigned by the General Manager and company guidelines.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Assist with interviewing, hiring, training and evaluating a productive team of associates for their department, following all company policies and state and federal laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements.
- Must be knowledgeable in and able to recognize, differentiate and work with all of the various types of products (especially produce) carried in the store, including differences between varieties of similar classes of products (i.e. apples, lettuces, etc.).
- Assist Customer Service Manager with all department functions, including, but not limited to: training, time and attendance, data entry, etc.
- Promote customer good will by providing high standards of customer service, insuring that all cashiers and courtesy clerks (baggers) do the same.
- Maintain effective work schedules for front end personnel to meet business volume and traffic flow requirements, on a per shift basis. Minimize customer inconvenience and excessive waiting periods, per company guidelines.
- Ensure that cashiers are assisted with price checks in a prompt and timely fashion.
- Comply with company policies (i.e. Cash Management) and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees within the department are properly trained and comply with company policies (i.e. Cash Management) and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintain good communications in the store and throughout the organization. Assist with development of associates within department through training, supervision, delegation and appropriate rewards and discipline.
- Follow and ensure compliance of all established company Alcohol Sales guidelines, and all Federal, State, Local and County Alcohol Sales laws and ordinances.
- Greet customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company customer service standards.
- The ability to motivate associates to achieve company sales and customer service goals.
- Keep store management informed of pricing problem areas or items that are not on file in the front end computers or electronic point of sale PLU (price look up) files
- Inform all necessary store management promptly of cash register or scale problems/malfunctions.
- Assist cashiers and customers with refunds, over rings and other transactions requiring supervisory approvals or overrides.
- Ensure favorable department image to customers by maintaining a clean, attractive and friendly department.
- Approve customer checks and assist customers with courtesy check cashing application forms.
- Handle all cash, checks, credit/debit card, etc. per Company policy. Make change for cashiers and register loans as needed.
- Ensure proper bagging procedures are being followed by all cashiers and courtesy clerks (baggers).
- Ensure that return to stock items are handled in a prompt and orderly manner with the most immediate attention given to refrigerated and other perishable items.
- Lead by example.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to effectively manage the department, on a per shift basis.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the department.
- Ensure that you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the department by properly monitoring customer wait times, customer service, cash management, RAS and prompt and courteous customer service..
- Excellent communication.
- Following all Company policies and procedures – leading by example.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises associates in the Customer Service department on a per shift basis. The Assistant Customer Service Manager is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of this department, on a per shift basis. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Works in conjunction with the Customer Service Manager and the other Assistant Customer Service Manager(s) to ensure optimum results. Responsibilities include: assisting with interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be 18 years or older and demonstrate a strong knowledge of the department and previous management or customer service experience, or a combination of education and experience.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or G.E.D. required. Must have at least one year experience in the grocery/retail and/or cash management experience; some background in accounting and supervisory or management experience preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards. Ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals including effective departmental memos, employee corrective action notices and customer signs or sales suggestions.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to correctly tender change, handle sales transactions, verify vendor invoice charges and counts, calculate gross margins and losses, estimate labor requirements based on sales volume, and be able to balance cash receipts or trouble shoot errors or discrepancies in cash or column balances. Ability to count and bundle money (currency) accurately and efficiently. Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, gross margins, percentages, and to apply concepts of basic algebra to business situations and reports.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None required. Food Service Certification preferred.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Operating equipment (baler, power jack, etc.)- Must be 18 or older.
- Bending, reaching and grasping.
- Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions, the employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
Please note: Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace reserves the right to change, alter or modify this policy at any time and without advance notice to the employee. I did receive a copy of and have read this job description. I understand the expectations of this position.
Every successful company is built on a core principle. At Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace, it's Family. From the actual Salvaggio family that created our store in 1979, to the family of thousands who staff our four locations in Metro Detroit, to the families we serve as customers every day.
Nino’s excellent pay and benefits package and our flexible scheduling philosophy reflect our family values and our respect for the dignity and value of labor. So does the number of employees who started out with part time or seasonal jobs and 5, 10, even 20 years later work with us full-time.
So whether you love working with customers or thrive in a kitchen environment, whether you know fresh produce or cash registers, whether you’ve graduated high school or learned a trade, it doesn’t matter. If you want a job, chances are you’ve got family waiting for you at Nino’s.
Troy • Clinton Twp. • St. Clair Shores • Bloomfield Twp.
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)