Summary: To effectively produce Artisan breads and specialty items for the bakery department, also to assist in the production, packaging, etc. of non Artisan bread items within the department. In addition, providing assistance in the form of production labor to Bakery department. Works with the Artisan Bakery Production Manager on all Artisan recipes, production techniques, etc. All of the areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines per company guidelines.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Produces Artisan breads and specialty items per company recipes and standards.
- Assists Bakery department management with ordering, production, packaging, etc.
- Assists with the implementation of new recipes and products.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with and able to work with all products carried in the department including being fully knowledgeable in the differences (in price, taste, preparation and/or use) between the many varieties and types of items offered in the department and the store. Adhere to all company quality standards.
- Follow approved procedures for receiving product, price marking, dating and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy and product rotation.
- Check and verify merchandise received to ensure that all items listed on vendor invoices are delivered. Check products for quality standards, count or weight and condition.
- Assists Bakery Manager with the ordering of product and maintains inventory control to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return-on-investment.
- Comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintain good communications in the department, store and throughout the organization. Assists Bakery department management with the development of associates within the department.
- Ensure favorable department image to customers by emphasizing a clean, attractive and friendly department.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees on your shift properly comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Greet customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company customer service standards. Must be able to work with all products available within the department.
- Assist with Bakery/Artisan bread reports, surveys and paperwork.
- Provide feedback to Bakery Manager, General Manager and Director of Culinary Operations.
- Lead by example.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to effectively assist with the management of the department on a per shift basis.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the department.
- Ensure that you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the department by properly monitoring labor cost, food cost, production, food presentation, rotation, expiration dates, inventory, waste, and prompt and courteous customer service, on a per shift basis
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Follow all Company policies and procedures – lead by example.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Must be 18 years or older. Culinary degree and/or pastry/baking experience or a combination of work experience and education, preferred. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: A Culinary degree and/or baking experience or a combination of work experience and education is preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
Ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals including effective departmental memos, employee corrective action notices and customer signs or sales suggestions.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to calculate individual and large orders and all other calculations as they pertain to customer service. Ability to convert measurements as needed to properly prepare recipes.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Food Service Management Certification preferred.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Operating equipment (baler, power jack, etc.)- Must be 18 or older.
- Bending, reaching and grasping.
- Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions, the employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
Every successful company is built on a core principle. At Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace, it's Family. From the actual Salvaggio family that created our store in 1979, to the family of thousands who staff our four locations in Metro Detroit, to the families we serve as customers every day.
Nino’s excellent pay and benefits package and our flexible scheduling philosophy reflect our family values and our respect for the dignity and value of labor. So does the number of employees who started out with part time or seasonal jobs and 5, 10, even 20 years later work with us full-time.
So whether you love working with customers or thrive in a kitchen environment, whether you know fresh produce or cash registers, whether you’ve graduated high school or learned a trade, it doesn’t matter. If you want a job, chances are you’ve got family waiting for you at Nino’s.
Troy • Clinton Twp. • St. Clair Shores • Bloomfield Twp.
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)