Summary: To effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the Meat department personnel, in conjunction with the Meat Manager, in order to achieve the sales, profit and labor goals established for the department. Directs and coordinates activities involved with production, sale and distribution of meat products. All areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines as scheduled or assigned by the General Manager and company guidelines.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Assist in training and evaluating a productive team of associates for the department, following all company policies and state and federal laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with and able to work with all products carried in the department including being fully knowledgeable in the differences (in price, taste, preparation or use) between the many varieties and types of meat including: pork, poultry, game and fish* (if applicable) items offered. Adhere to all quality, safe food handling and sanitation standards.
- Determines variety and quantity of meat products to be produced, according to orders and sales projections, on a per shift basis.
- Follow approved procedures for receiving product, price marking, dating and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy and product rotation.
- Check and verify meat department merchandise received to ensure that all items listed on vendor invoices are delivered. Check products for quality standards, count or weight and condition.
- Assist with ordering and maintaining inventory control to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return-on-investment.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees on your shift properly comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintain good communications in the store and throughout the organization. Assist with the development of associates within department through training, supervision, delegation and appropriate praise and discipline.
- Ensure favorable department image to customers by maintaining a clean, attractive and friendly department and showcase.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures and ensure that all department personnel comply with safety policies and procedures. Participate in store’s Safety Committee.
- Greet customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company customer service standards.
- The ability to motivate associates to achieve company sales and customer service goals.
- Lead by example.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages all department associates, meat cutters and P.I.C.’s in conjunction with the Meat Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to effectively manage the department.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the department.
- Ensures that all food safety and sanitation guidelines are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the department by properly monitoring labor cost, food cost, production, food presentation, rotation, expiration dates, inventory, cuts, trim and waste, and prompt and courteous customer service.
- Ensure excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication.
- Following all Company policies and procedures – leading by example.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in meat cutting, product preparation, stocking, rotation procedures, product knowledge, customer service experience, etc.
- Ability to communicate both verbal and written sufficient to express an idea or thought.
- Excellent knowledge of all of the products carried in the department.
- Excellent organizational skills (detail oriented, goal oriented, follow through).
- Great attitude (people skills, innovative, proactive).
- Must be at least 18 years of age and demonstrate a strong knowledge of department operations.
Education and/or Experience: G.E.D. or high school diploma preferred; two or more years experience in meat department operations with successful participation in a management training program; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards.
Ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals including effective departmental memos, employee corrective action notices and customer signs or sales suggestions.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Must be able to perform arithmetical calculations at the tenth grade level in order to perform and give meat cutting tests. Calculate tar weight allowances, analyze or calculate gross margins, yields ratios, percentages and itemized pricing breakdowns for boxed beef/meat including various cuts; verify invoice charges and counts and complete and submit required records and reports.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Food service certification preferred.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 30 to 90 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 90 to 110 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 110 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Operating equipment (baler, power jack, etc.)- Must be 18 or older.
- Bending, reaching and grasping.
- Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions, the employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
Every successful company is built on a core principle. At Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace, it's Family. From the actual Salvaggio family that created our store in 1979, to the family of thousands who staff our four locations in Metro Detroit, to the families we serve as customers every day.
Nino’s excellent pay and benefits package and our flexible scheduling philosophy reflect our family values and our respect for the dignity and value of labor. So does the number of employees who started out with part time or seasonal jobs and 5, 10, even 20 years later work with us full-time.
So whether you love working with customers or thrive in a kitchen environment, whether you know fresh produce or cash registers, whether you’ve graduated high school or learned a trade, it doesn’t matter. If you want a job, chances are you’ve got family waiting for you at Nino’s.
Troy • Clinton Twp. • St. Clair Shores • Bloomfield Twp.
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)