Summary: To effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the department, including production of all department products in order to achieve the sales, gross profit, customer service and labor goals established for the department, on a per shift basis. Assist management with directing work flow in the department and coordinates activities involved with production, sale, merchandising and distribution of products offered in the department, on a per shift basis. All areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines per company guidelines.
- Adheres to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensures compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Assists with the implementation of new recipes and products.
- Assists with the demo program for the store.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with and able to work with all products carried in the department including being fully knowledgeable in the differences (in price, taste, preparation or use) between the many varieties and types of items offered in the departments and the store. Adhere to all company quality standards.
- Supervises and directs Sushi staff on a per shift basis, per Company guidelines, production guidelines, product quality guidelines, etc.
- Follows approved procedures for receiving product, price marking, dating and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy and product rotation.
- Checks and verifies Sushi department merchandise received to ensure that all items listed on vendor invoices are delivered. Check products for quality standards, count or weight and condition.
- Assists with ordering and inventory control to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return-on-investment.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures, store rules and standards of conduct as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees in the department, on your shift, properly comply with company policies and procedures, store rules and standards of conduct as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintains good communications in the department, store and throughout the organization. Assists with the development of the Culinary staff in the department.
- Ensures favorable department image to customers by emphasizing a clean, sanitary, attractive and friendly department.
- Greets customers and provides them with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company Customer Service standards; ensures that employees in the department are meeting or exceeding Company Customer Service standards also.
- Must be able to properly measure, divide, multiple and prepare all sushi recipes.
- Assists with Gourmet to Go department reports, administrative duties, surveys and paperwork, etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to motivate associates to achieve company sales and customer service goals.
- Provides feedback to Gourmet to Go Manager/Executive Chef/Executive Sous Chef, Director of Culinary Operations and Asst. GM/General Manager as needed.
- Follows and ensures compliance with all Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace safety and foodservice sanitation programs and standards.
- Assists as available/needed with Party Planning Orders and with the Party Planning Concierge to assemble and coordinate customer orders.
- Leads by example.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Responsible for the overall supervision of all sushi employees in the department on a per shift basis. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. The PIC works with the Assistant Department Manager and the Department Manager to successfully manage the department through direction, coordination and evaluation of the department on a per shift basis. Responsibilities include: training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; praising performance, appropriately handling complaints, concerns and issues as they relate to customers and associates.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to effectively manage the department on a per shift basis.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the department.
- Ensure that all you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the department by properly monitoring labor cost, food cost, production, food presentation, quantities, waste, and prompt and courteous customer service, on a per shift basis.
- Demonstrates excellent team building skills within the department, the store and the Company.
- Ensure excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication.
- Follow all Company policies and procedures – lead by example.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in written format sufficient to express an idea or thought.
- Excellent knowledge of the products carried in the department.
- Excellent organizational skills (detail oriented, goal oriented, follow through).
- Great attitude (people skills, innovative, proactive).
- Must be at least 18 years of age and demonstrate a strong knowledge of department operations and a proven track record of success in the overall operation of the department.
- Must have a strong Culinary background, including Culinary terminology, knife skills, measurements and weights and recipe execution.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or G.E.D. required; and 1 to 3 months related experience and/or demonstrated ability required. Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discount, ability to handle sales transactions, tender correct change, verify vendor invoice charges and counts and complete required accounting reports including inventory and receiving. A Culinary degree or a combination of work experience and education is preferred.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including
postings on company bulletin boards. Ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals including effective departmental memos, employee corrective action notices and customer signs or sales suggestions.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to calculate individual and large orders and all other calculations as they pertain to customer service. Ability to convert measurements as needed to properly prepare recipes.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Food Service Management Certification preferred.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Operating equipment (baler, power jack, etc.)- Must be 18 or older.
- Bending, reaching and grasping.
- Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions. The employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
One spring day, many years ago, Nino Salvaggio was approached by one of his suppliers to buy several cases of beautiful, lush strawberries. Although Nino did not need the additional cases of strawberries, he thought they looked exceptional…so he said “yes.” By late morning, and after several more purchases, Nino was the owner of 500 cases of strawberries. Knowing that fruit is a perishable item and also realizing that he now owned three times the amount of strawberries he usually sold in one day, Nino was faced with an exciting challenge.
Determined to sell all 500 cases, Nino strategized and built a beautiful display in the front of the store. He set up rows and rows of wooden displays at various heights and artfully arranged the fruit so that his customers entered a sea of bright red strawberries that seemed to extend for miles. Next to the display, Nino placed beautiful hand painted signs that read “$3.99 Per Flat.” As word spread about the sweet, delicious strawberries, customers flocked from every direction to Nino’s 2,000 square foot market in St. Clair Shores. As fate would have it, all 500 strawberry cases were quickly sold.
It was on that day that Nino Salvaggio learned a valuable lesson about the art of merchandising. He also developed a philosophy that has proven to be the backbone of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace’s success, “Give the customer exactly what they want, whatever it takes, cater to them and you can bet they will keep coming back for more.” This philosophy is apparent today in each Nino Salvaggio market with locations in St. Clair Shores, Troy and Clinton Township. We at Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace are proud to continue the tradition and challenge that Nino Salvaggio himself aspired to. We honor his memory by providing each and every customer the best quality products and service available.
With the Nino Salvaggio Strawberry over the door, we personally invite you to experience the warmth and tradition of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace. A magnificent shopping experience awaits you amidst the aisles of colorful, fresh produce, gourmet delights and, while you are here, don’t forget the strawberries!
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)