Summary: To effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the store personnel in order to achieve the sales, profit and labor goals established for the store in conjunction with the General Manager. To assist the General Manager in daily operations of the store as well as overall strategic planning. Assist with the management of the entire store. All areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines as scheduled or assigned by the General Manager and company guidelines.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Oversee all aspects of the operation in conjunction with the General Manager.
- Assist the G.M. and department managers with the interviewing, hiring, training and evaluating a productive team of associates for the store, following all Company policies and state and federal laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements.
- Assists, as needed with the administration of the orientation process for all new hires.
- Works with the Payroll manager, Corporate Administrative manager and Office manager to ensure that all administrative responsibilities are handled properly.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with and able to work with all products carried in the store including being fully knowledgeable in the differences (in price, taste, preparation or use) between the many varieties and types of products offered in the store. Adhere to all quality standards.
- Works with the General Manager, upper management and store management to ensure that all store merchandising plans and department goals and any and all other store planning is properly executed.
- Follow approved procedures for receiving product, price marking and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy and product rotation.
- When necessary, check and verify department merchandise received to ensure that all items listed on vendor invoices are delivered. Check products for quality standards, count or weight and condition.
- Review any and all new products with the General Manager and/or upper management.
- As necessary, order and maintain inventory control to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return-on-investment.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees on your shift properly comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintain good communications in the store and throughout the organization. Develop associates within departments/store through training, supervision, delegation and appropriate rewards, evaluations and discipline.
- Greet customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company customer service standards. Ensure that all employees of Nino Salvaggio’s adhere to these standards.
- Submit or ensure submission, as needed, of any and all required reports and surveys to the office, Payroll, Director of Ops, General Manager, etc. on time and accurately.
- Ensure accuracy in all reports submitted.
- Ensure accuracy and integrity in all financial transactions.
- Properly ensures that the entire building is properly secured during and after business hours (i.e. safe is properly secured, receiving area and back and side doors are secured at the end of the business day, that the doors and windows are properly secured at close, that the alarm is properly set, that the building is properly inspected prior to close/leaving the store, etc.).
- Personally follows all store and company policies, procedures and protocol 100% of the time and ensures that the staff of the store does the same.
- Works with store personnel and HR and department managers to ensure that all safety, sanitation, shoplifting and orientation policies and procedures are being adhered to. Oversees store safety committee, store shoplifting prevention committee and AGM orientation.
- The ability to motivate store team (associates and management) to achieve company sales and customer service goals.
- Demonstrate a pro-active approach to problem solving.
- Lead by example.
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages the store’s management team and Associates in coordination with and/or absence of the General Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company’s policies, Human Resource guidelines and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, ensuring accuracy in the handling and reporting of financial transactions, properly researching discrepancies, ensuring the highest standards of security of Company funds and resolving problems. Responsible for the overall operation of the store in the absence of, and in conjunction with the GM.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in stocking, rotation procedures, product knowledge, customer service experience, merchandising, etc.
- Ability to communicate both verbal and written sufficient to express an idea or thought.
- Excellent knowledge of the products carried in the store.
- Excellent organizational skills (detail oriented, goal oriented, follow through).
- Great attitude (people skills, innovative, proactive).
- Must be at least 18 years of age and demonstrate a strong knowledge of store operations.
Education and/or Experience: Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discount, gross margins, markup, percentages, ratios, ad loss, shrinkage and to apply basic concepts of algebra; ability to handle sales transactions, tender correct change, verify vendor invoice charges and counts and complete required accounting reports including inventory, receiving and variations in cash or column totals. High School diploma or G.E.D. preferred. Two or more years of management experience in a multi-department setting required or an equivalent level of education and experience. Previous Customer Service management experience required.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to properly and effectively manage the store, following all Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace guidelines, policies and procedures and ensuring all staff in the store, does the same.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the store.
- Ensure that you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the store by properly monitoring labor cost, food cost, production, food presentation, quantities, waste, and prompt and courteous customer service.
- Ensure excellent customer service.
- Demonstrate excellent team building skills.
- Excellent communication.
- Follow all Company policies, protocols and procedures 100% of the time – lead by example.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Foodservice Management Certification required.
Nino Salvaggio offers health, dental, vision, AFLAC supplemental benefits and well as a discount. For managment positions, Nino Salvaggio covers a life insurance policy and LTD policy. With a new store coming to Bloomfield Twp in 2018, there is also room for growth and advancement.
One spring day, many years ago, Nino Salvaggio was approached by one of his suppliers to buy several cases of beautiful, lush strawberries. Although Nino did not need the additional cases of strawberries, he thought they looked exceptional…so he said “yes.” By late morning, and after several more purchases, Nino was the owner of 500 cases of strawberries. Knowing that fruit is a perishable item and also realizing that he now owned three times the amount of strawberries he usually sold in one day, Nino was faced with an exciting challenge.
Determined to sell all 500 cases, Nino strategized and built a beautiful display in the front of the store. He set up rows and rows of wooden displays at various heights and artfully arranged the fruit so that his customers entered a sea of bright red strawberries that seemed to extend for miles. Next to the display, Nino placed beautiful hand painted signs that read “$3.99 Per Flat.” As word spread about the sweet, delicious strawberries, customers flocked from every direction to Nino’s 2,000 square foot market in St. Clair Shores. As fate would have it, all 500 strawberry cases were quickly sold.
It was on that day that Nino Salvaggio learned a valuable lesson about the art of merchandising. He also developed a philosophy that has proven to be the backbone of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace’s success, “Give the customer exactly what they want, whatever it takes, cater to them and you can bet they will keep coming back for more.” This philosophy is apparent today in each Nino Salvaggio market with locations in St. Clair Shores, Troy and Clinton Township. We at Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace are proud to continue the tradition and challenge that Nino Salvaggio himself aspired to. We honor his memory by providing each and every customer the best quality products and service available.
With the Nino Salvaggio Strawberry over the door, we personally invite you to experience the warmth and tradition of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace. A magnificent shopping experience awaits you amidst the aisles of colorful, fresh produce, gourmet delights and, while you are here, don’t forget the strawberries!
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)