Summary: To effectively direct and supervise all functions and activities of the Bakery department, including production, pastries, Artisan breads (if applicable), etc. in order to achieve the sales, gross profit, customer service and labor goals established for the department. Coordinates activities involved with production, sale and distribution of bakery products. All areas described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow scheduled hours, store operating hours and labor guidelines as scheduled or assigned by the Department Manager and company guidelines.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and labor laws, OSHA regulations and EEOC requirements, Health Department standards, etc. ensuring that the work environment is safe and healthful and free from discrimination, harassment and unsafe work conditions.
- Ensure compliance with all state, county and local weights and measures laws and labeling requirements.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with all products carried in the department including being fully knowledgeable in the differences (in price, taste, preparation or use) between the many varieties and types of baked goods offered.
- Assist Bakery Manager in evaluating problem areas, areas of concern and potential problem areas. Assist in developing and implementing a plan to correct areas of concern.
- Prepare and properly execute operation of the Bakery operation. Adhere to all quality standards.
- Must ensure that the Bakery department is adhering to all company standards on cost control, customer service, merchandising, product quality, employee relations, product presentation, product preparation, ordering, inventory, cleanliness, rotation, sanitation and organization.
- Follows and ensures that all department personnel are following approved procedures for receiving product, dating, price marking and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, public image, accuracy and product rotation.
- Checks and verifies bakery department merchandise received to ensure that all items listed on vendor invoices are delivered. Properly checks products for quality standards, count or weight and condition.
- Ensures that the proper ordering and maintaining of inventory control is being utilized in the department to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales and return-on-investment.
- Comply with Company policies and procedures as outlined in the employee handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws; ensure that all employees on your shift properly comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the company handbook and memos, and state and federal safety and sanitation policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- Maintains good communications in the store and throughout the organization. Develops associates within the department, under the guidance of the Bakery Manager through training, supervision, delegation and appropriate rewards and discipline.
- Maintains favorable department image to customers by ensuring a clean, attractive and friendly department.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures and ensure that all department personnel comply with safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure excellent customer service and ensures that the department personnel are providing customers with prompt and courteous service and/or assistance, per our company customer service standards.
- Ensure efficient Bakery Department organizational structure by assisting the Bakery Manager with the recruitment, development and recommendation of potential candidates for promotion from within, if feasible.
- Works with Bakery Manager to ensure that schedules and time and attendance records are accurate, following all Nino Salvaggio Time Administration guidelines.
- Produces accurate reports and results for the department as needed.
- Submits required reports, surveys and results, accurately and timely, to the appropriate person.
- The ability to motivate associates to achieve company sales, cost control and customer service goals.
- Leads by example.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Note: This description represents a significant sampling of tasks performed, responsibilities and job knowledge required, however, it is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Responsible for the overall supervision of all employees in the department in conjunction with the Bakery Manager. Responsible for the department in the absence of the Department Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. The Assistant Department Manager works with the Department Manager to successfully manage the department through direction, coordination and evaluation of the department. Responsibilities include: training employees, planning, assigning and directing work; praising performance, appropriately disciplining associates and handling complaints, concerns and issues as they relate to customers and associates.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in stocking, rotation procedures, product knowledge, baking, customer service experience, etc.
- Ability to communicate both verbal and written sufficient to express an idea or thought.
- Excellent knowledge of the products carried in the department.
- Excellent organizational skills (detail oriented, goal oriented, follow through).
- Great attitude (people skills, innovative, proactive).
- Must be at least 18 years of age and demonstrate a strong knowledge of department operations.
Standards held to:
- Must be able to effectively manage the department on a per shift basis.
- Must be able to properly use, train others how to use and supervise the safe use of all equipment in the department.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in written form sufficient to express an idea or thought.
- Ensure that you are positively contributing to the gross profit of the department by properly monitoring labor cost, food cost, production, food presentation, rotation, expiration dates, inventory, waste, and prompt and courteous customer service, on a per shift basis
- Ensure excellent customer service.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Follow all Company policies and procedures – lead by example.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or G.E.D. preferred; and 1 to 3 months related experience and/or demonstrated ability required. Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as discount, gross margins, markup, percentages, ratios, ad loss, shrinkage and to apply basic concepts of algebra; ability to handle sales transactions, tender correct change, verify vendor invoice charges and counts and complete required accounting reports including inventory and receiving.
Language Skills: Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with department employees, employees of other departments and customers. Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools, company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents including postings on company bulletin boards. Ability to compose and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals including effective departmental memos, employee corrective action notices and customer signs or sales suggestions.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to correctly verify vendor invoice charges and counts, calculate gross margins and losses, estimate labor requirements based on sales volume, and calculate individual and large orders and all other calculations as they pertain to customer service. Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, gross margins, shrink, and be able to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry to business situations and reports. Ability to convert measurements as needed to properly prepare recipes.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Food Service Management Certification preferred.
Physical Demands and Required Tasks: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for 8 or more hour periods.
- The ability to operate equipment safely and correctly.
- Must be able to sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to regularly bend, lift and/or move 25 pounds.
- Must be able to frequently bend, lift and/or move 50 pounds.
- Must be able to occasionally bend, lift and/or move 75 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel.
- The ability to work in and between extreme cold, wet, humid or hot conditions.
- Operating equipment (baler, power jack, etc.)- Must be 18 or older.
- Bending, reaching and grasping.
- Standing for extended periods and walking.
- May occasionally be exposed to temperature of approximately -20F while handling products in freezers and coolers.
- Must be able to reach and move items above shoulder height.
- The ability to use hands to finger, handle and/or feel. Must be able to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold and wet and/or humid conditions. The employee may also need to work outside in either extreme hot, cold, wet, etc. conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work in a fast paced environment. Ability to multitask, maintain a positive attitude, problem solve.
One spring day, many years ago, Nino Salvaggio was approached by one of his suppliers to buy several cases of beautiful, lush strawberries. Although Nino did not need the additional cases of strawberries, he thought they looked exceptional…so he said “yes.” By late morning, and after several more purchases, Nino was the owner of 500 cases of strawberries. Knowing that fruit is a perishable item and also realizing that he now owned three times the amount of strawberries he usually sold in one day, Nino was faced with an exciting challenge.
Determined to sell all 500 cases, Nino strategized and built a beautiful display in the front of the store. He set up rows and rows of wooden displays at various heights and artfully arranged the fruit so that his customers entered a sea of bright red strawberries that seemed to extend for miles. Next to the display, Nino placed beautiful hand painted signs that read “$3.99 Per Flat.” As word spread about the sweet, delicious strawberries, customers flocked from every direction to Nino’s 2,000 square foot market in St. Clair Shores. As fate would have it, all 500 strawberry cases were quickly sold.
It was on that day that Nino Salvaggio learned a valuable lesson about the art of merchandising. He also developed a philosophy that has proven to be the backbone of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace’s success, “Give the customer exactly what they want, whatever it takes, cater to them and you can bet they will keep coming back for more.” This philosophy is apparent today in each Nino Salvaggio market with locations in St. Clair Shores, Troy and Clinton Township. We at Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace are proud to continue the tradition and challenge that Nino Salvaggio himself aspired to. We honor his memory by providing each and every customer the best quality products and service available.
With the Nino Salvaggio Strawberry over the door, we personally invite you to experience the warmth and tradition of Nino Salvaggio International Marketplace. A magnificent shopping experience awaits you amidst the aisles of colorful, fresh produce, gourmet delights and, while you are here, don’t forget the strawberries!
Company Website: www.ninosalvaggio.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)